Robert Telles, accused of murdering Jeff German in Las Vegas, appears in court with a creepy face

Disgraced Las Vegas politician Robert Telles was seen smiling in court on Tuesday as prosecutors officially charged him with “lurking” outside jeff in germanbefore he stabbed the investigative journalist at least seven times.

Such, 45, has been charged with open murder with the use of a deadly weapon in the Sept. 2 slaying of German outside his Las Vegas home. In a criminal complaint filed Monday in Clark County, prosecutors alleged that Telles was “willful, deliberate and premeditated” in attacking the 69-year-old man. German had written several articles about Telles’ alleged misconduct as a county public administrator, a position for which he had recently lost a reelection bid.

The civil servant, who is still technically getting paid for his role before his term ends in December, was seen standing in the doorway of a Clark County courtroom for his arraignment on Tuesday, smiling in bandages. wrapped around his forearms. During the brief hearing, Telles’s lawyers asked for an adjournment, which means he will be back in court next Tuesday.

Telles is currently being held without bail at the Clark County Jail and faces a sentence of life in prison. Clark County District Attorney Steve Wolfson told reporters outside the courtroom that prosecutors plan to ask for “very high” bail and that Telles “represents a flight risk and danger to the community.”

Criminal defense attorney Ozzie Fumo, who was asked to help authorities remove Telles from his home Wednesday to surrender, told The Daily Beast that he went to see Telles in jail on Saturday.

“He was still on suicide watch,” Fumo said via text message Monday. “I only spent a few minutes with him. I confirmed with him that he gave my name to the Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department to contact me. I explained to him that I would not be able to represent him in his case.”

Telles’ defense attorney, Travis Shetler, could not be reached for comment.

While prosecutors are still outlining a full motive, Deputy District Attorney Richard Scow linked German’s reports on Telles to the murder during a hearing last week.

“Articles published about a public figure, the public administrator’s office, ruined [Telles’] political career, probably his marriage, and this was him lashing out,” Scow said.

Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department Capt. Dori Koren added last week that “Telles was upset about articles German was writing as an investigative journalist that exposed possible wrongdoing, and Telles had publicly expressed his problems with that report.” . “And then ultimately Telles was also upset, which we found out later, because there were additional reports pending,” Koren said.

The sordid saga that shocked all of Las Vegas and the journalistic community began around 11:18 am on September 2. The complaint states that surveillance footage shows a suspect wearing a straw hat and reflective shirt entering German’s pedestrian gate. Minutes later, German’s garage door opens and he is seen walking out.

“German approached the pedestrian gate and was immediately attacked,” an arrest report for Telles says. “Germán fell to the ground and never got up again.”

The report adds that “the suspect stood up and calmly walked east, away from [German’s] residence.” Authorities believe Telles was disguised “to hide his identity and avoid involvement in the murder.”

A medical examiner concluded that German suffered seven stab wounds and had defense marks on his arms and hands. The arrest report also notes that Telles’ DNA was found under the fingernails of the journalists.

A neighbor, Jay Sabs, previously told The Daily Beast that his home security camera captured the man police identified as Telles pacing outside his home around the time of the killing in the northwest corner of Bronze Circle and Wintergreen Drive. Sabs added that the footage showed a maroon Yukon, which authorities eventually linked to Telles, driving past his home. A man is also seen in the footage walking for about 10 to 15 minutes.

The arrest report states that when officers spoke to Telles’ wife, she said that on the day of the incident she was unable to reach him on his cell phone.

Telles was questioned by police last Wednesday and voluntarily handed over clothing to investigators. Wolfson told reporters that after the conversation, investigators “rushed” a DNA test on him.

Telles was arrested that night after an hour-long standoff during which he barricaded himself in his home and police called in Fumo to help convince his man to surrender. Telles suffered “self-inflicted injuries” during the incident and was briefly treated at a local hospital.

If you or a loved one is struggling with suicidal thoughts, contact the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-TALK (8255), or contact the Crisis Text Line by texting TALK to 741741. You can also text or dial 988.

Leave a Comment